Maddock Lab
Lab Members

View Maddock lab pictures.

View list of Maddock lab alumni.

line

Janine Maddock

Associate Professor
Email: maddock@umich.edu

I am the boss. When I am not teaching, going to faculty meetings, talking to students, tiling floors, being a mom, or whipping my lab into shape; you can find me working on my houses... especially my cottage in the Bahamas.

line

Postdoctoral Fellows

Raji Janakiraman

Postdoctoral Fellow
Email: rajij@umich.edu

Hi! I am Raji, a Research Associate in the lab. Usually found in the lab till 3.00 pm after which Mommy mode kicks in! I work on BipA, the coolest GTPAse associated with the Ribosome. I found that the BipA has multiple phenotypes and research in our lab indicates that there are custom Ribosomes to translate specific mRNAs. And yes, this project is going to make Janine Very Famous one day ! In the spring, I desert the lab bench and tussle with 100 undergraduates teaching them BIO172 ( Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology).

Spare time, what's that? Lab, two kids, Science Olympiad Coach, volunteer in kid's school etc etc. Alright, alright.........when I hang up my pipetman, I like to watch movies, go for walks, Zumba and catch up with my gal pals! Bring on the Margaritas......

Ryszard Zielke, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Dr. Zielke studies ribosome biogenesis and proteomic analysis of protein interactions in E. coli. Ryszard is a founding member of Strike Team Eagle Force, the Maddock Lab's Polish-American society of awesomeness.

Return to top
line

Graduate Students

Billy Clifford-Nunn

Graduate Student

Hi! I'm Billy. I float in and out of this lab as I work in a collaboration with Philip C. Andrews of the Biological Chemistry Department. Technically I'm a chemistry graduate student, so my project combines the chemistry of the Andrews lab with the biology of the Maddock Lab. I have synthesized my own chemical crosslinkers and now I'm applying them to ribosomal particles and hopefully ribosomal intermediates. We aim to find any protein-protein interactions and potentially localize where the protein is binding to the RNA. We're using mass spectrometry in the Andrews lab to analyze the crosslinked intermediates. It's a fun, multi-faceted, interesting project and I love it! When I can tear my attention away from my totally awesome project, I love to read, have friends over for dinner and games, go to movies, and scrapbook.

Katharyn Cochrane

Graduate Student
Email: katharyn@umich.edu

Hi, I'm Katharyn. I'm a graduate student in the lab. I'm working on the ribosome assembly end of Janine's research. My life is pretty hectic, but if I had free time I'd probably spend it reading, sewing, beading, dancing, or enjoying the beautiful Michigan outdoors. I don't usually play my music out loud, but I vote myself most likely to be randomly singing in the lab. My favorite genres of books are historical fiction and history, but I also enjoy sci-fi and fantasy.

Dan Sheidy

Graduate Student
Email: dtsheidy@umich.edu

Dan joined the Maddock lab as a PhD student in the Spring of 2010. His thesis research is focused on ribosomal assembly and regulation. In his free time, Dan enjoys golfing, watching hockey, brewing, playing guitar/ukulele, and hanging with his family/friends.

Lance Shultz

Graduate Student
Email: shultzl@umich.edu

I am Lance and I am a soon to be second year grad student. I am interested in Microbiology, specifically cell polarity and fluorescent microscopy techniques. Aside from science, I like watching football, soccer, and hockey. I enjoy all types of movies and strategy gaming. Additionally, I live for lab trivia nights at the local pubs. This summer I am looking forward to the World Cup and getting married.

Return to top
line

Masters Students

Jyotsna Shankar

Masters Student
Email: jyotsnas@umich.edu

Hi! Im Jyotsna. I am a first year Masters student in the lab. My research project is on ybhP , a polar protein in E. coli and its probable association with other polar proteins in the synthesis of Cardiolipin.

During my free time, I love watching movies, going out with my friends ,listening to music, dancing ,etc. I enjoy travelling and meeting different people. I think Jason Dobkowski is a super individual!

Return to top
line

Research Associates

John Francis Brooks II

Research Associate
Email: johbrook@umich.edu

Unfortunately, my time is here at the Maddock lab is waning as I will be pursuing a Ph.D. in Microbiology next year at Northwestern University. While at the Maddock lab I pursued a set of polar proteins involved in colanic acid synthesis in E.coli. When not in the lab, I enjoy spending time with my friends at my favorite local bars Ashley's, Dominick's, and Conor O'Neils.

Jason Dobkowski

Research Associate
Email: jdobkow@umich.edu

I joined the Maddock Lab in the summer of 2007 when I refroze the entire KEIO collection. After 2 months of labeling and filling cryovials, I began studying inclusion body formation in E.coli. When I am not exploring misfolding GFP fusion proteins, I enjoy being outside and wishing that Michigan had a better football team. I miss Lloyd Carr.

Nicolette Ognjanovski

Research Associate
Email: nnognjan@umich.edu

I'm Janine's go to person with anything lab related or otherwise. When I do science, I study protein localization of phospholipid synthases via fluorescence microscopy and the conundrum that is misfolder protein artifacts. I like making protein antibodies, running gels, Champions League soccer, trivia, Ashley's, baking gourmet treats for the lab, and accusing people of stealing my hot pink pens. Any glitter found in the lab is also probably my fault.

Return to top
line

Undergraduate Students

Return to top
line